... the historic centre
The city gate named Porta Consolare dates from the era of the Triumvirate and the Augustan Age; the upper portion of the triple archway construction is decorated with three statues dating from the Republican Age or from the Julius-Claudius era. The statues were originally located in the proximity of the amphitheatre.
The Cappella Tega, a 14C chapel, is embellished with 14C 18 frescoes by the Umbrian school, among which a Crucifixion attributed to Alunno.
The Church of S. Maria Maggiore dates from the 13C - 17C; built on the ruins of a temple consecrated to the Roman goddesses Juno and Vesta, the church is rightly famous for the Baglioni Chapel adorned with frescoes in 1501 by Bernardino di Betto, better known as Pinturicchio.
From the adjacent Palazzo dei Canonici access is gained to the Pinacotheca with its rich collection of works dating from the 13C, 14C, and 16C.
The I 3C Church of S. Andrea contains 15C frescoes by the Foligno school, a ruined 13C fresco, an oil-painting on wood of the Crucifix from the time of Giotto, and an oil-painting on wood by Pinturicchio.
Porta Venere dates from the Augustan Age; the triple arch way construction is flanked by 12-sided towers known as the Torri di Properzio.
The Palazzo Comunale Vecchio was built by Maestro Prode in 1270; a 15C fountain graces the approach. An archaeological exhibit is displayed in the main hall. A public library and archives are housed in the palazzo.
The Church of S. Lorenzo dating from 1120 has undergone numerous reworkings, the most extensive of which in the 16C and 17C. The Chapel of the Sacramento has a marble tabernacle by Flaminio Vacca dating from the late- 16C. The church also contains an inlaid wood choir dating from 1533 and a 17C wood Manger.
The Arco di Augusto is an archway dating from the time of the Triumvirate and Augustan Age.
The Church and Monastery of S. Maria di Vallegloria forma complex begun in 1320; contained therein are 16C and 17C frescoes and a 1560 cloister.
The Arco dei Cappuccini, also known as Porta dell'Arce is a ruin predating the Augustan Age. The Augustan Age Porta Urbica is an imposing example of pure architectural lines.
The Roman Amphitheatre dates from the 1C AD; it was part of a grand complex used for public performances and religious celebrations. All that remains are ruins of the ellipse.
The Church of S. Claudio is an example of Romanesque architecture dating from the 12C. The interior is enriched by numerous 14C and 15C frescoes by the Orvieto and Umbrian school.
Farther on is Villa Fidelia with a formal garden in the Italian style; the villa, originally built in the 15C, underwent modifications in the 18C and l9C.
Villa Fidelia houses the Straka-Coppa Collection which comprises paintings, sculptures, and antiques.
The Church and Monastery of S. Girolamo has a portico with frescoes by the Umbrian school dating from the 15C and 16C. The complex is Iocated dose to a cemetery.
... environs of Spello
Spello is so situated as to afford a magnificent view of the Umbrian plain all the way from Perugia to Spoleto.
Of particular interest from the standpoint of history and architecture is the upper hill and mountainous region including two medieval villages: Collepino and San Giovanni.
From Collepino a panoramic drive traverses Monte Subasio en route to a hermitage known as the Eremo delle Carceri di Assisi.